Drake Lilly aka Anti-Lilly is an independent rapper and songwriter based in Houston, Texas, who has regularly collaborated with the Don’t Sleep Records family.
Balance the Grind spoke to Drake about life as an independent artist, day in the life of a musician, staying busy to stay balanced, and more.
This conversation is brought to you by HelloFresh, delivering delicious ingredients and simple recipes straight to your doorstep each week.
1) To kick things off, could you tell us a little about your music career to date?
What’s up I’m Anti-Lilly out of Houston , Texas. I’ve been writing as long as I’ve been trying to find myself.
For my entire life I’ve been around and involved with music. It’s my favorite language and first love.
I’m an independent artist that’s trying to grow and build up a foundation for my family.
2) What does a typical day in the life look like for you as an independent musician? Can you take us through a recent day?
I’ve always had a few different hustles so I’m up no later than 7:00am each morning. Once I’m moving around I check my email first to make sure that I stay locked in with my supporters and colleagues.
I go through all of my social media and for any updates to make sure I don’t miss any opportunities to connect with the people who reach out to me.
I still have my 9-5 where I’m there about 3-4 days a week. Before I leave the house i make sure that I update my daily/weekly goals. Recently I’ve been building my music group “Indigo Klan”.
So essentially all of my free time has gone towards helping my brothers with their vision and continuing to build our foundation. On that note, Omit The Logic by Devante Hunter is available everywhere now.
3) Do you have any tips, tricks or shortcuts to help you manage your workload and schedule?
Definitely bro you have to. I’ve always been meticulous with my schedule and time utilization. I believe in scheduling/writing everything out to maintain accountability. For me, it’s makes everything more seamless. When you have something in front of you it’s easy to check it off the list.
4) In between your job, life and all your other responsibilities, how do you ensure you find some sort of balance in your life?
I don’t know man, I feel as if I’m as balanced as I can be. The grind is so necessary for the success. Pressure has always sharpened me; even when I didn’t want it.
Staying busy keeps me balanced and sane. I probably struggle most with spending quality time with my significant other but I’m finding that balance too.
5) What does work life balance mean to you?
Personally for myself it’s finding peace in those areas. You have to get the highest quality you can in both fields. Balance isn’t easy
6) What do you think are some of the best habits you’ve developed over the years to help you strive for success and balance?
Checking myself daily, self accountability. I’m responsible for my overall growth but that’s something I had to learn myself.
7) Are there any books that have helped you improve over the years?
I think it’s best to say that the books I’ve read have helped me gain different ideas/perspectives but experience has been my best teacher. With that said, last book I read was Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.
8) What is the number one thing you do to make sure you get the most out of your day?
Staying out of my own way to start off. Going back to knocking off my daily goals; I just try and stay a productive as I can. Been working on sleeping/eating better and generally staying in good shape. I think having that routine has been beneficial in my journey.
9) Do you have any last thoughts on work, life or balance that you’d like to share with our readers?
Respect the importance of both. Gotta work for everything you want to gain out here in this life. However you can’t forget to actually live; its said often but it’s actually a difference in existing and living.