Jacob Galea is an Executive Success & Mindset Coach who has helped a lot of CEOs and business executives take their business to the next level. He has been featured in the SMH, Body+ Soul, KissFM and most recently on TV in the US.
Subscribe to Balance the Grind’s newsletter so you never miss one of our conversations about work, life & balance.
1) To kick things off, could you tell us a little about your career background and current role?
My career background was in sales where I was involved with working on major deals for companies as a broker / middle man in between clients and a supply chain. After winning a 3 year business scholarship I decided to open my own Executive Coaching business where I also deliver keynote talks across the globe.
My current role sees me working with growing companies around the world from Managing Director level all the way through to all staff to help them increase performance and passion with no limits.
2) What does a day in the life look like for you? Can you take us through a recent workday?
In the office at 8am, review the days tasks and plan, meet with clients, start coaching at 9am through till about 7pm, my days also include Keynote speaking for organisations and these talks can go anywhere from 1 hour to 3 days of facilitation.
3) Does your current role allow for flexible or remote working? If so, how does that fit into your life and routine?
There is a certain amount of flexibility with the coaching calls and email coaching, however the one on one coaching programs are not remote they are in person usually in a boardroom, meeting room, or a café somewhere exciting and quiet.
I have been known to have sessions on yachts, planes, and even doing the Bronte to Bondi walk with my clients.
4) What does work-life balance mean to you and how do you work to achieve that goal?
To me it means quality over quantity, it is not the amount of time you spend with family that counts, it is the quality, the time spent leaving your phone at home and being pure and authentic in the moment.
A lot of business people are in fact there is reality with there family but their mind is miles away on other stuff, this is not balance at all. Finding time to take a break and zen out is vital to your success and also to your balance in life.
5) What do you think are some of the best habits or routines that you’ve developed over the years to help you achieve success in your life?
I think the most important habit is discipline, this is the desire to get stuff done. My routines are power routines so this means getting more done in a shorter period of time, I am often multitasking to allow myself to do multiple things at once to save time later in the back end.
If you really want to be the best version of you find a habit that gets you winning in less time and do more of that.
6) Are there any books that have helped you improve over the years?
100%. The Power of Your Subconscious Mind by Doctor Joseph Murphy, The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo, Good to Great by Jim Collins, and The Art of War by Sun Tzu.
7) What is the number one thing you do to make sure you get the most out of your day?
Get up earlier, rise and shine to grind. I am up at 430am. Starting the day 3 hours ahead of your competition is key. Don’t leave the office until all the tasks are completely ticked off the list and your inbox is empty by the time you go home, be on top of your workload always and leave nothing till tomorrow ever.
8) If you could read an interview about work-life balance by anyone, who would that be?
Paulo Coehlo, the author of the Alchemist. The man is a spiritual genius.
9) Do you have any last thoughts on work, life or balance that you’d like to share with our readers?
Balance is about quality over quantity. To ensure you are being the best version of you, work on doing more quality stuff rather than 100 useless meaningless tasks that do not move the dial. Life is about moving forward and experiencing everything this life has to offer so live with purpose, passion, and profit.
If you’d like to have a conversation with us about how you balance the grind, get in touch with us!