Lana Tarek is an eyebrow technician and the founder of Lana Tarek Brow Salon & Academy. In addition to her services, Lana has also released a luxe product collection.
1) To kick things off, could you tell us a little about your career background and current role?
I am an expert eyebrow technician and the founder of Lana Tarek Eyebrow Specialists. In 2014 I took a huge leap of faith and turned a small hobby into a business, opening my first studio.
Since then, I have added my own signature touch to the world of brows, educating many aspiring brow artists who graduate from my Browcademy and launching a range of professional products and tools.
2) What does a day in the life look like for you? Can you take us through a recent workday?
I wake up very early every day, and the first thing I do is practice mindfulness by meditating and saying my affirmations. I then check my emails before getting my two beautiful children ready for school. After I drop them off, I head to work.
There, I review mine and my staff’s diaries, set the agenda for the day by prioritising actions and create masterpieces on my clients faces. I pick my kids up before 5.30 and we head home to spend quality time together. For me, once I’ve picked up my kids, it’s all about them. I leave my work at work. I’m always in bed no later than 10pm.
3) Does your current role allow for flexible or remote working? If so, how does that fit into your life and routine?
Because I am in a service-based business, I physically need to be present to perform treatments. I also need to be physically present when I’m sharing my knowledge and mentoring and training my staff. Every now and then, I do have the opportunity to work remotely when I’m working on business development.
4) What does work-life balance mean to you and how do you work to achieve that goal?
As paradoxical as it may sound, I find it incredibly helpful to schedule allocated time to spend time with my kids, and allocated me-time is very important to me as well. I wake up early every day, plan my week ahead and make sure I’m always including self-care and family time, no matter how busy work is.
Watching my kids grow up so quickly, it dawned on me that family always will be my first priority. Above all, I am a mum first and I maintain very strict boundaries around spending quality time with my children.
5) In the past 12 months, have you started or stopped any routines or habits to change your life?
I used to go to bed very late, at 1 or 2 in the morning, every night. Since COVID broke out, I have made more health conscious decisions in the hopes of improving my wellbeing and mindset. Getting more sleep each night has definitely had an incredibly positive impact on me, mentally and physically.
6) Do you have any favourite books, podcasts or newsletters that you’d like to recommend?
I absolutely loved The Five Love Languages of Children by Garry Chapman, and Think Like A Monk by Jay Shetty.
7) Are there any products, gadgets or apps that you can’t live without?
I can’t live without the brow pencil that I designed. I made it so it creates fine, subtle strokes that are buildable and very natural. I don’t think I could live without my phone, or Uber Eats!
8) If you could read an interview about work-life balance by anyone, who would that be?
Michelle Obama. I’ve always been so inspired by her strength as a woman.
9) Do you have any last thoughts on work, life or balance that you’d like to share with our readers?
When it comes to work, organisation is a must. I keep a very structured diary which helps me complete tasks and feel accomplished. When it comes to life, I like to make sure that every day I spend one hour doing something I love, just for me.
This can be watching TV, listening to music or reading. Sometimes, us humans forget that we need to enjoy our own company too. To find the balance between work and life, I rely on spirituality. This can look different to everyone!
Before you go…
If you’d like to sponsor or advertise with Balance the Grind, let’s talk here.
Join our community and never miss a conversation about work, life & balance – subscribe to our newsletter.