Nick Cianfaglione is the founder and CEO of Artist Republik, a 360 platform designed to empower independent music artists around the world.
1) To kick things off, could you tell us a little about your career background and current role?
I’ve been in the music industry for over 9 years and have pretty much been an entrepreneur my whole life! I was always finding a creative way to make money and sell services that I could offer for as long as I can remember!
Currently, I am the founder, CEO and Chairman of Artist Republik, INC. Artist Republik is the only 360 platform for independent music artists across the world meant to produce, distribute, market, book shows, network and more! We believe in empowering music artists to take control of their careers.
2) What does a day in the life look like for you? Can you take us through a recent workday?
I believe that in the first couple years of running a startup you need to be addicted to your company. If it feels like work, you’re in the wrong place. So with that being said, my average work day starts at 9am with home cooked breakfast, usually something with eggs.
I am a HUGE believer in a good breakfast to start the day! After that, I head into the office around 10am. I try to start meetings no earlier than 11am (obviously there’s exceptions). I spend the first hour doing important to-do list items.
From 11-7pm I have meeting times, working with my team, investors, clients, vendors and more.
3) Does your current role allow for flexible or remote working? If so, how does that fit into your life and routine?
Yes, I prefer to work from the office but running a tech company gives you a lot of flexibility and usually once a month I like to take off for a 4 day weekend and go work remotely from a new location. Currently my favorite location to work from is Newport, RI.
4) What does work-life balance mean to you and how do you work to achieve that goal?
Work-life balance for me is the biggest deal in the summer. I’m a huge beach bum and love spending every minute I can by or on the water. So making sure I have time to be on the water and or be with family is my main work-life balance goal!
But as I said, the first two years of a startup are the most crucial so you can’t be afraid to go off the grid for a couple months and just get everything in shape.
5) In the past 12 months, have you started or stopped any routines or habits to change your life?
I think the biggest habit I love is that every Friday I go out to breakfast before work and then I grab dinner with either friends or employees after work. This is a new habit I picked up a month or so ago and it has really helped improve my own work life balance.
6) Do you have any favourite books, podcasts or newsletters that you’d like to recommend?
My favorite book is Excellence Wins: A No-Nonsense Guide to Becoming the Best in a World of Compromise. I believe EVERY entrepreneur should read that book.
7) Are there any products, gadgets or apps that you can’t live without?
Todoist- I live by it. My whole life is in that app.
8) If you could read an interview about work-life balance by anyone, who would that be?
I couldn’t name one person because over the years, I believe everyone had a different work-life balance and view on it. I believe in pulling pieces from each one and really building your own balance. So I couldn’t say one but I love reading about people’s work schedules.
9) Do you have any last thoughts on work, life or balance that you’d like to share with our readers?
I think everyone has their own balance and you just need to find what yours is. For example, I can work 12-16 hours a day for a week or two without getting burnt out, and then after that I’m ready to step back for a day and do a mini work remote vacation. But I know other people that have a totally different balance. Everyone is different and you just need to find what works for you and do it.
Before you go…
If you’d like to sponsor or advertise with Balance the Grind, let’s talk here.
Join our community and never miss a conversation about work, life & balance – subscribe to our newsletter.